PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp for Flounder

Aquarius
03-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Does anyone have an opinion or any real scientific information on what the ideal water temperature is for flounder? Rising water temps seems to be what everyone is waiting for right now.

I remember during a summer or two in the mid 80s when some of the Freeport party boats fished for flounder throught the summer and into the fall. There was a season (I think the summer of '85) that many of them never bothered to switch over to fluke. Water temps in the bay ususally get to the 70s. As I remember, most of this fishing seemed to be around the 3rd Meadowbrook bridge.

RJ
03-27-2003, 07:50 PM
They start getting active around 42 to 44 degrees, get better around 48 degress but the 50 to 53 is a magic numner late in the spring.

Billfish
03-29-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't like to take issue with the experts.But I remember back in the late 70's when flounder were plentiful and I kept my wooden skiff in the water all winter & fished for flounder on a mild day in early February.In fact two of us anchored up on the northeast corner of Wanzers Cut opposite Squaw Island and boated 35 nice fish. My feeling is that there are damn few flounder availeable no matter where you go or what the water temp is. I sure miss them though, and would love to see them back.

RJ
03-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Flounder are cold water fish and spawn at 36 degrees or so. The wil be active at temps inther high 30's, but then agasin there milions of them back then. These days with much fewer flounder, we need warmer water temps so they are active enough to cruise and find food rather than us having to rely on finding flounder:D

Pinhooker
03-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Billfish
I too remember those early season Flounder trips back in the 70's .Back in those days i fished the Mianus River in Cos Cob Conn. with the same results. The younger fisherman i speek to about those days think i'm fibbing. Would love to see them come back, don't think it will happen.I feel lucky to have experienced the great flounder fishing back then.

Billfish
03-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Pinhooker
Wasn't it great fishing in those days. Sword fish sunning a few miles off Fire Island , Tuna in 120' up to 100# on the troll, fishing for White Marlin, and Cod fish closer than the Cholera Banks. All that and Snowshoe Flounder up to 5# in Tobacco Lot bay, Fluke over 10# not a rare occorance and Striped Bass over 40# to be found every year. You could even hang on the ball and chum giant Tuna at the Mud Hole and the BA bouy. Not many boats reached the canyons then but the the fishing was so good north of the HA bouy and in the bays that no one even thought about going there, although it must have been incredible. We'll never see it again with all the fishing pressure, but like you say, the young folks can believe the stories, no matter what they hear it's no exageration.

lou
04-03-2003, 12:16 AM
I was reading ********** when they did "40 years of fishing" special. The one thing I remember was that there was NO LIMIT on Flounders back then. Some reports showed people were bringing home 300 flounders!! I think the lack of flounders is our fault guys. Hopefully, 20 years from now, there will be millions again.

Just my 2 cents,
Lou

LkyLindy
04-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Lou-
It's sad:crying: :crying: but true-not to mention all the pressure the comms put on the fishery.However there may be an enviornmental aspect to the lack of bay flounders also

COD FISH CARL
04-03-2003, 11:45 AM
I've fished out of Captree most of my life, and now most of the party boats have to go to the ocean to catch any fish. I was out last Saturday afternoon 2 flounders caught on the boat. The captain called the bay a grave yard.

Billfish
04-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Lou,
You're right there was no limit on any fish and there were always people that would abuse the resourse. The majority of the real fishermen woul fish intelligently and keep what they could use and a little bit more for neighbors and friends who really appreciated it. In those days we were'nt as affluant as today. You mentioned *******as I recall a Bayshore Mako Tournament weighed in over 100,000 # of sharks and created one of the biggest garbage disposal problems the town ever saw.Incidently we did'nt see good shark fishing fishing for years after that.